Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ponyo

I'm sure there are plenty of other reviews for the Movie so this one will be brief. I watched Ponyo this weekend with my kids and we completely enjoyed it. I got a kick out of how some of the names from previous names were used as were some of the faces from previous movies.

Some examples...
The boy from My Neighbor Totoro is the spitting image in face and name of the main character ...
One of the Seniors at the Senior Center looked just like ... from Howl's Moving Castle when she had aged.
One of the Senior Center staff from the movie looked like on of the 2 daughters from My Neighbor Totoro as if she had grown up.

I'm sure there were other items present that I missed but those stood out to me.

The story is about a small fish/mermaid who after being exposed to magic, wants to become human. Having tasted human blood, she transforms herself into a girl about the age of the main character. These to play together and go an an adventure to find his mom once the island becomes flooded.

Meanwhile Ponyos mother and father decide to test the boys love for Ponyo and if it is true, allow her to remain as a girl. He passes the test proving that no matter her form, he will protect her. I think the story ended rather abruptly and could have had maybe another 10 minutes to show some of their life after she becomes a true little girl.

All-in-all, I really recommend this movie. If you are expecting Mech-warriors, demons, lightning, etc... those are not in this movie. Expect a wonderful story told brilliantly that has appeal to kids and parents of all ages. Hayao Miyazaki style is unique and I think the awards he has received are well deserved.

Other movies that he has produced include
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
...

Source:
ANN
Disney


English Trailer



Original Japanese Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment